Free Tax Return Preparation by Volunteers Available

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program is once again available at the LIFE ENRICHMENT CENTER by APPOINTMENT


  • last approximately 1 hour
  • available session times will be Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
  • begin January 31, 2013  (last appointment day will be April 11, 2013)
  • Call (937) 252-5700 to make an appointment.   You may also leave a clear voice mail message with your name and phone number.
  • Appointments may also be scheduled in person at the Center on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Important information about the VITA program from the IRS:

The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income ($51,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.

Items to bring to the VITA site to have your tax return prepared

  • Proof of identification (picture ID)
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
  • ** IF you do not have a copy of last year’s return, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to recieve a PIN number for yourself and your spouse (if applicable) which will be needed at your appointment.

It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card. Each year hundreds of thousands of returns are delayed in processing, or credit/deductions are disallowed because names and Social Security Numbers do not match Social Security Administration records. To prevent processing delays in paper returns and rejected electronically filed returns, volunteers check the accuracy of each Social Security Number, as well as the spelling of the name associated with the number.

There are payment options available when using IRS e-file.
If you owe, you can make a payment (by April 15) by authorizing an electronic funds withdrawal (direct debit) from a checking or savings account, paying by credit (Discover Card ®, American Express ®, MasterCard ® or VISA ® Card), or by check or money order (payable to the United States Treasury) using Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher.

A VITA/TCE site will prepare the following:

  • 1040EZ
  • 1040A with Schedules 1, 2, 3, and EIC
  • 1040 with Schedules A, B, C-EZ, EIC, and R
  • Form 1040V (Payment Voucher)
  • Form 1040ES (Individual Estimated Tax Payment)
  • Form 2441 (Child and Dependent Care Credit)
  • Form 8863 (Educational Credits)
  • Form 8812 (Additional Child Tax Credit)
  • WI Form 1, 1A and WI-Z
  • WI Homestead Credit (household income must be less than $24,500)

A VITA/TCE site willnotprepare the following:

  • Schedule C (Profit or Loss From a Business)
  • Schedule D (Complicated and Advanced D’s)
  • Schedule E (Rental Income)
  • Form SS-5 (Request for a Social Security Number)
  • Form 2106 (Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses)
  • Form 3903 (Moving Expenses)
  • Form 8606 (Nondeductible IRA)
  • Form 8615 (Tax for Children Under 14 with Investment Income)

Note: Vita will also not prepare returns for married filing separate individuals.

Categories News & Events, Updates | Tags: | Posted on January 9, 2013

Social Networks: RSS Facebook Twitter Google

Comments are closed.